New Year.

New Students.

Fresh Ideas.

The great thing about teaching is you get to wipe the slate clean each year and get a fresh start.  That was one of the reasons I enjoyed my career in broadcasting because every day was a fresh start.  A different story, different location, different people to interview every day. I loved the spontaneity of it.

The 2017-18 school year is already off to a productive start. Second year students have already completed or are near completion on independent projects.  AM students recorded and edited the first of a series of shows for our principal, Mr. Stanfield.

Tech Talk with Wade Stanfield

Our PM students have been working with the FCPS Transportation Department to create a new and improved PSA on School Bus Safety. This project has allowed the students real life experience by going off campus to work on a project that will air on local cable TV.

There are procedures to follow to ensure everyone arrives to and from school safely

Calla and Diana work the cameras while Leah oversees the project with the preplanned shot list.

I am also very excited about the effort and content that I have seen put into this year’s blogs. There is a variety of topics that would appeal to many interests. As a person who has always loved creative writing, it makes me so happy to see students exploring their own writing and communicating talents via their blogs.

There are so many ways to communicate with others.  From the written word, to photos, audio, video and graphics, each platform tells a story. I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with this year as each person tries all the ways to communicate out and finds the one that sparks his/her passion for connecting with others.

This is going to be a great year! I can feel it!